03 January 2010

Plans have changed, Barbie

That line comes from the first computer game we ever bought - a Barbie game for Elizabeth to play on the Commodore 64 - can't remember exactly how long ago that was - and the line has ended up in our family language.  Today I had planned to finish off a bag I started as a Christmas present but ran out of time to finish.  While looking for the pieces in one of the drawers I came across the monster blocks and this is what I did this afternoon - all I had to do was a simple central block, some borders and sashings.

When I visited Diann last June, I tidied up one of her fabric cupboards and these 8 machine emroidered blocks (3 with borders finished) were in the back of the cupboard.  Diann had decided she no longer wanted them and asked if I knew anyone who would.  I immediately thought of my work friend's little boy Evan, who is 4.  I forgot to bring the blocks home with me and in early December a package arrived with the blocks,  blue fabric, rainbow stripe fabric and another bright basketweave fabric that I'll use for the binding.


The quilt measures ~47" x 47" and I have a some of the fabric squares leftover from the Scrappy Spiderweb backing that I can use as the basis for the backing.  I'm tickled pink with how it turned out.

Lots of rain has been falling here starting on Christmas Day.  Sunny weather will return on Tuesday when I go back to work - doesn't bother me because I've been happy to stay inside, although it would have been nice to sit outside on our verandah over the last week or so and read a book.

8 comments:

Maria said...

Lynda I love your little Quilt and I am sure your friends little boy will adore it.
Yes it is good to stay inside and sew when it is wet and it is too when it is as hot as it is here. It was 40 today so sat inside sewed and blogged.

Cathy said...

I love the monster quilt, I'm sure it will be a real winner! CathyX

Helen said...

Great quilt Lynda and the rain is a god send up here in QLD, I like to sit inside and stitch too.

Helen

Vicki said...

I've been enjoying what we call summer down here in Burnie, although I have to move from front to back deck to stay out of the wind! I am sure Evan will be thrilled to bits with this monster quilt. You have certainly got through a few UFOs over the break, rain or not, LOL

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh Lynda that is one cute quilt...love the monsters...Commodore 64...now that is a blast from the past....LOL...how things have changed...that was the first computer my boys had as well.

Bev C said...

Lynda,what a lovely bright quilt.I remember the Commodore 64!!!!

Teresa said...

He is going to LOVE this monster quilt. What a great quilt, especially for a little boy. So nice it was finished and not sitting in the back of a cupboard.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...