16 January 2020

New Year, New Starts

New Year's Day I made bindings for the Rainbow Cot Quilt and Sweet Escape and sewed them onto the quilt.  Rainbow Cot Quilt is finished and Sweet Escape might be finished in the next day or so - it was put aside over Christmas and I've been sewing the binding down this week.


Finished stitching down the binding last night while watching the AO Rally for the Bushfires


Way too dull at home this morning to take photos of the finished quilt.

Lynell and I enjoyed "All You Need is Love" so much - we had a lovely afternoon at the Opera House - drinks at the Opera Bar, dinner at the Opera Kitchen a walk around the Opera House and in to the Botanic Gardens followed by a coffee inside the Opera House before the concert.  Again, we didn't want the concert to end - such brilliant singers, musicians and the fabulous Beatles songs.

Many years ago, all my free time was taken up doing cross stitch.  I loved it.  Hadn't cross-stitched for so many years until I picked up Elizabeth's "Angel of Mercy" to finish off late last year.  While rummaging around the sewing room after Christmas I came across "Merry Season" , a Shepherds Bush design I've had for about 18 or so years - I also had the fabric and buttons.  Made a start and


five days later it was finished.  I need to find a frame and then I can put it up next Christmas.  The fabric is large gauge (around 18 threads/inch) and I used 4 strands of DMC, so it was very quick to stitch up.  Really enjoyed making this and it may prompt me to drag out another long-time UFO.


I've made two Scrappy Trip Around the World quilts and when I saw a post on Instagram for a sew-along to make another, I started cutting strips to make a second low-volume version with aqua feature strips this time.


Really happy with how the first four blocks look together.  I'll need to make six blocks per week to keep up with the SAL because I'm making mine queen bed size.


I'm running very late with the "Hide and Seek" SAL - most people have their quilt tops together and I've just finished step 3.  Might have time to start step 4 on the weekend.  I need a new cutting mat - turned this one over and it's perfect.


Haven't done any of "Summer Moon" or "Long Time Gone" for months nor have I started "Gypsy Wife" SAL, which I also signed up to make.  Packing away Christmas is going very slowly this year as weekends are being spent with the family and friends and I'd rather sew and watch sport during the week.

I saw two movies recently:  "Shaun the Sheep - Farmageddon" and "The Gentlemen".  "Shaun the Sheep" was a fun movie for the little ones and plenty of laughs for the adults in the audience.  "The Gentlemen" is definitely not for everyone but I loved it - haven't laughed so much for ages.  For me, Colin Farrell stole the show - his character was hilarious.  The language is extremely coarse - hearing Lady Mary from "Downton Abbey" swear in a Cockney accent is a shock to the system.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...