28 June 2017

My Big Day Out

For years my children attended Big Day Out, Homebake and various other music festivals in and around Sydney.  At Gulli's birthday party I mentioned that Sydney Quilt Show was coming up and Diann would be visiting from Brisbane.  Michael commented that this is my annual festival and he's so right.

Diann and I had a wonderful few days together - I didn't take any photos at the Quilt Show or during the weekend.  We spent Thursday night in Sydney to save on travel time.  Our hotel turned out to be an experience that we can laugh about.

Loved the Quilt Show this year - more stalls to visit and quite a few new vendors, which was great.  The hall was very crowded from mid-morning till mid-afternoon but I think it's terrific that so many people love to visit.  I found everything on my list except for one book, which I was able to purchase on-line, so I'm a happy little shopper.  The quilts were spectacular and it was so lovely to see quilts made by people with whom I've become friends over the last 15 years or so, especially when they are prizewinners.

We stayed at the show until the very end then met up with Chookyblue, Deb and some others for a drink and dinner.  Such a lovely way to end the day.  Saturday we didn't seem to do a lot - Diann stitched some hexagons then tried out one of the Sachiko stitcheries she bought at the Quilt Show; I did some crocheting and Mum came for afternoon tea (bringing cake, of course).  The weather all weekend was spectacular so on Sunday morning we had breakfast in Shellharbour and then visited Karen so that Diann could go shopping in Karen's cupboards and then it was time to go home so Diann could pack before we headed off to the airport.

On the way home from the airport I called in to visit Elizabeth, Matt and ChaCha to drop off a couple of little presents I picked up at the Quilt Show and also ChaCha's new cardigan.  When she outgrows it, I'll change the buttons and Gulli can wear it.  Bendigo Savanna is beautiful, soft alpaca/wool mix.


I'm almost finished a little bolero/cardigan for ChaCha - this one has knitted lacy edgings and just needs sewing up.


Last Wednesday, my Swoon quilt arrived from Sarah.


I'm so happy with the wavy line quilting.


I thought this quilt would suit a wavy edge so bought a special ruler to try it out.  A few other tools were needed for the corners.


Had a day off on Monday and decided it was the day to be brave and have a go at the wavy edge.


Tickled pink with the result.  The binding is now sewn on but I need a few nights to stitch it down.


I'm going to have a try with the scallop edge on the little Fresh quilt after it's quilted.

Karen has been busy quilting a couple of cot quilts that have been ready for 2 years or so.  They both have new homes to go to.

"Shoo Fly"

"Retro" designed by Camille Roskelley featuring Jacob's Ladder blocks

4 comments:

Sue said...

Your swoon quilt looks absolutely beautiful with the scallop edge. Loving all the colours.

Chookyblue...... said...

was wonderful to catch you in Syd......and to finally meet Diann..........It's like I know her a little.......must do that again next time.......glad you girls have had a great time together.......
and your swoon quilt looks wonderful with the curvy edge........

Maria said...

How nice to have had a few fun filled days with the ladies in Syd..
Lovely curvy edge on your beautiful Swoon Quilt.
You knitted a gorgeous warm cardi for Cha Cha..

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love that Mick compared the quilt show to the Big Day Out, it really is. It's a shame we weren't there the same day. I got to meet Chookyblue after all these years. Your curvy ruler did the trick, that edge is wonderful I can see you doing that on future quilts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...