01 June 2021

Hourglass a Day

Last October, a quilter I follow in Instagram posted a message about making an hourglass block each day using Cluck Cluck Sew's tutorial and then in a few months we would have enough blocks to make a quilt.  I had a few Bonnie and Camille charm packs plus a bundle of already cut 5" squares, so this was a great idea for me to use up those fabrics.  5" coloured square + 5" background square = 2 finished 3-1'2" hourglass blocks.

In November I started making two blocks a day and enough blocks were made by the end of March.


Love this "Hello Darling" fabric backing.


I wanted a curvy quilting design as a contrast to all the angles and points in the blocks and Karen used "Wind and Waves" - it looks great.


I signed up for another quilt-along.  "Another Story" designed by Thimbles and Needles using up the leftover background from "Kaleidoscope" and lots of fabrics from my stash plus some hexagons swapped with two other participants.  Some progress has been made on the blocks.


The design sheet isn't big enough to hold them all.


I need to cut out another six hexagons and then make the side half-hexies to fill in the gaps.

Last week's "Sewcialites" block is "Inspire" designed by Lori Holt - this was a fun block to make.


Last year I had planned to cut out Cotton Way's "Summer Days" quilt but it just didn't happen until a month or so ago.  I changed the Friendship Stars to green fabrics and used yellow to make Sawtooth Stars plus I made 6 of each block instead of 5 so that I'd have a bigger quilt.


The red/aqua blocks are done.


Out for dinner last Thursday night with The Schoolgirls, lunch with work friends on Friday to farewell two of our staff then out for the evening to farewell another.  Had a lovely day on Saturday - Mum and I went to Sydney to visit Jenni, Kurt and Vincent.  They are all going so well.  Vincent is laughing now and is a very happy baby.


Some housework and sewing on Sunday before an afternoon Hawks game - good win.  Games tonight and Thursday night and the season is over (but they might make the play-offs).

1 comment:

Maria said...

All your charm squares made into hourglass blocks have made a lovely quilt.
All the hexies are looking great.
Lots of blocks you’ve been working on too.
How cute is little Vincent. It’s so heart warming when they first laugh....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...